Friday, March 25, 2011

Creativity comes from the things you lack…

The other day my friend Maria came to my home to show my mom and I the new beautiful crafts she has been making, this woman always makes the cutest, most lovely things with her hands, I admire her so. We were talking about crafting and decorating, and my mom was saying how if she had more money she could do so much with her home décor. Now, this is actually funny, because my mom is a wonderful decorator, and has always managed to make her home so lovely, delightful, and classy with very little money. She just has a knack for creating something beautiful out of something so simple, she doesn’t “craft” per say, but she creates her own little things, and puts her own personal touch and spin on items she buys and finds around the house. Because of her, I have always grown up in a home that felt special. Yet, my mom still thinks she could do “better” if she had the money to go and buy the things she dreams of seeing in her home, and while yes it would be great to have the money to do that, Maria said something that hit me, she said that “creativity comes from the things you lack”.

That is so true. If we had the money to buy all the things we want, we would never get to see what we could create on our own; we would never have the desire to dream up things in our minds. We would never get the satisfaction of creating our own things, and knowing that your personality is ingrained in the things you created.

Lately I’ve been in a very creative mode, I feel like getting my hands dirty, if you will, and really letting my mind take over and create beautiful things. I love fashion, I always have, but I don’t have the money to go out and buy a new wardrobe, I have to buy little pieces here and there to fit into what I already have. But when I go into a store, I love, love, just looking at a top or dress, and thinking “I can totally recreate that into something awesome!” I get so much excitement from taking a simple top, or a simple outfit, and putting my own spin on it to make it come to life. It’s the best way to show your personality. The other week I was at a store and found a Beatles sweatshirt, my mind went wild, while on its own it was “blah”, I knew that I could wear a plain black tank underneath it, and because if the way it was made, I could wear it as an off the shoulder top. The store only had a Medium when I needed a small, so to take care of the bigness I tied it to the side and fastened it with a brooch. All together it gave the top a sort of an ‘80’s rock feel. I love it, and got a lot of compliments on it :)

This is what I love doing, taking something “blah” and normal, and making “awesome” and “me” :) I think just paring the right jewelry with something can make an outfit with no personality take on a life of its own. And a normal pair of jeans can be transformed by wearing a tied scarf, or garter around the thigh…it adds spunk. I like spunk :) I also could care less if something is “in” or not, if i like it, then i will wear it…to me this is the only way to live :)

I plan on learning to sew very soon, so then I will be able to alter my own clothing and take my creating to new levels. I also would love to learn crochet since it’s always seemed so fun.

So, you don’t need much money to create rockin’ and special things that look fun and classy at the same time, all you need is passion, your beautiful imagination, and the lack of finances and supplies…ah, how sweet :)

~Cecily Priscilla

2 comments:

John Dodds said...

haha I knew how to crochet when I was younger, had one of my sisters teach me.. lol a little insight to my childhood!!

Cecily Priscilla Wetter said...

Lol that’s fun that your sister taught you how to crochet! What a good sister to give her brother a new skill :) A friend is going to teach me…it’s seems really fun, but hard, so I guess we’ll see lol :)